Future Love People (2024)

 


Like other images I've posted recently, this one is a reworking of a digital photo-collage/cgi/painting from long ago - 1999 in this case.

In those days I was experimenting with an inexpensive 3D figure rendering software called Poser which had all sorts of controls for changing a character's physique. Some of them could be cranked up to ridiculous extremes, which I loved because the results looked like "transhuman" superhero fantasies from the science fiction of the time.

For that first version of this piece, I created a cgi render and then collaged digital photos (taken with one of the earliest commercial digital cameras, a Sony Catseye) of myself and my newlywed wife Melissa into it. I imagined the resulting scene as the two of us surviving together romantically as impervious metal cyborgs in a post apocalyptic Eden, and I titled it "Super Love People."

As was usual in my digital work back then, I wanted the image to have a clear formal relationship with the history of Western easel painting (which is just artspeak for "I wanted them to look more like paintings") but I felt constrained by the inability of the tools at hand to do that very well. Instead, I kept it all in my back pocket while I puttered around with other projects for a few decades, waiting for better "painting" filters.

Better filters are here now, thanks to recent dizzying advances in AI which I've been posting about for the last couple of years. Those advances have me feeling worried and melancholy, so in revisiting this piece my idea is less along the lines of an ironic wink at the silliness of our transhuman fantasies, and more about a posthuman future in which all of our fantasies are just something else's digital memories.