Five Pussies

Most of my "fine art" work is based on "found images" (as we say). Back in the 80's before I used digital imaging, this meant I would make more or less slavish copies of things I found in books and magazines and rely on the change in context to create new meanings for them (or "problematize" them, to use more art jargon).

Here's an example from 1988, showing the painting first ("When 'Pussy' Gets Her Back Up", which is on paper, about six feet wide and is owned by Canadian filmmaker Guy Maddin) and then the source its based on :



















Around 1990 I began to worry about the idea of making paintings (too elitist!) and started trying to make art as "open edition multiples" (more jargon which just means cheap prints in unlimited editions) - which eventually led me into making digital work and comics. Here's an ink drawing that I intended to use to make a "multiple" offset print version of "When Pussy Gets Her back Up" (the final print would have been in color):


















Once I started working digitally I realized I could also stop copying everything so closely, and I started "restaging" the images using toys and other props. Here's a digital version of "Pussy" from 1998 or '99:




















And finally, here's a page from my comic book novel "Fantastic Life" where the main character, a thinly disguised version of me, tries to explain the painting to a young lady who is "modeling" for him:

























(Click on the images to see larger versions)